Inspecting the accounts
Any interested person may
- inspect the accounting records for the financial year to which the audit relates and all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers, receipts and other documents relating to those records; and
- make copies of all or any part of those records or documents
A person is not entitled to inspect or copy any part of any record or document containing
- information which is protected on the grounds of commercial confidentiality
- personal information
For the year ended 31 March 2017 these documents will be available by appointment at the Council’s office at Southover House, Southover Road, Lewes, BN7 1AB from 9am to 4pm weekdays between Monday 3 July and Friday 11 August 2017 inclusive.
It will be helpful (and save time) if any person wishing to exercise his/her right to inspect the Council’s accounting records, contacts us in advance.
Between 3 July and 11 August 2017, a local government elector for the area of the Council, or his/her representative, may
- ask the auditor questions about the accounts, using the contact address above
- object to the Council’s accounts asking the auditor to issue a report in the public interest and/or apply to the court for a declaration that an item in the accounts is unlawful. Written notice of a proposed objection and the grounds on which it is made must be sent to the auditor at the address given above and copied to the Council’s Chief Finance Officer.