Sign-up for a garden waste collection
To set up, make changes or end a green garden waste service, use our online form.
We offer a chargeable garden waste service for Lewes District residents. The service costs £70 per year and you can opt-in at any time.
Members of the scheme receive:
- a 240 litre garden recycling bin
- fortnightly collections for 10 months of the year (collections are suspended over December and January)
- scheme membership for 12 months from the date that you register
Bins are delivered to members within fourteen days after payment is received.
What if I don't produce that much garden waste every fortnight?
If you can’t fill a 240 litre wheelie bin every two weeks, you could share the service with a neighbour - and share the cost with them too. You and your neighbour can fill your garden waste bin and leave it out for collection as normal.
What goes in garden waste bins?
Yes please - we accept in your brown garden waste bin:
- Grass cuttings, leaves and hedge trimmings
- Shrubs, plants and flowers
- Brush wood (up to 20cm/8" diameter)
- House plants
No thanks - we do not accept in your brown garden waste bin:
- Food waste
- Packaging waste
- Plastic bags
- Boulders, bricks, concrete, tiles and ceramics
- Wire, metal and textiles
- Treated and painted wood
- Japanese knotweed
- Put your bin at the boundary of your property by 6am on your collection day.
- Report a missed collection by 5pm the following working day.
- All garden waste should be put into your bin loose, without plastic bags or sacks.
- If crews are unable to gain access due to road works, parked cars or adverse weather, they will try to return as soon as possible. Please leave your bin out until it is emptied.
- During periods of extreme weather, please check our website for updates on your collections.