STEPS to stay independent provide a free and confidential housing support service for people aged 60 or over, to help them to stay living independently.
To be eligible, you must have a housing support issue. Any other support is provided in addition to this.
The service offers a range of support to eligible individuals including:
- Looking into more suitable accommodation;
- Dealing with tenancy and mortgage worries;
- Keeping warm and reducing energy bills;
- Ensuring your home is safe;
- Managing household bills and debts; and
- Obtaining daily living equipment.
In addition to supporting with housing issues, STEPS can also help you with:
- Accessing benefit advice and debt management;
- Managing long term physical health conditions;
- Finding community transport;
- Taking part in healthy living activities;
- Accessing local social groups or activities in your area;
- Accessing advice and support for your carer;
- Approaching other organisations; and
- Getting online.
If you live in Eastbourne, Lewes or Wealden and require this service, please contact STEPS West by either:
Phone: 01323 636448.
STEPS West is provided by Brighton Housing Trust
If you live in Hastings or Rother and require this service, please contact STEPS East by either:
Phone: 0300 1232422
STEPS East is provided by Peabody.
During the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are able to support you via the telephone or email. This could be either directly or through a family member or friend.
We can also support via a home visit, but only in circumstances where it is not possible to provide support by other methods.
This assistance covers all housing tenures - home owners, social housing tenants, and those who find themselves without a home, for example.
The STEPS team continue to provide support during this time with issues including housing, benefit claims, linking into local community support, keeping warm and reducing energy costs.
If you are unsure whether STEPS can help you, please just contact us.