The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 provides that in respect of the charges for hackney carriages, we “may fix the rates or fares within the district as well for time as distance, and all other charges in connection with the hire of a vehicle by means of a table.”
Fares comprise charges for:
- Distance travelled (three tariffs, depending on time of day and day of the week)
- Waiting time
- Extra charges, which include journeys with five or more passengers, a potential fuel surcharge, a vehicle unfit to continue working charge and a surcharge for payment by credit or debit card
We propose to change the table of fares as follows:
- Fare increase of just over 10%, which translates into a 30p increase on the starting rate across all tariffs (60p on Christmas day)
- Provide a requirement for small removal will incur a £8 surcharge in addition to the metered fare (agreed in advance) (an increase of £2)
- Transportation of domestic pets £2. No charge for registered assistance dogs (an increase of £1)
- Fouling vehicle £60 (an increase of £10)
We propose to make the above changes to taxi fares in Eastbourne on 3 September 2019.
In accordance with the statutory procedure set out in Section 65 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, we are required to undertake public consultation prior to making any amendment to taxi fares.
Objections should be made in writing by 4pm on 5 August 2019 to Tim Whelan, Director of Service Delivery to Eastbourne Borough Council 1 Grove Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 4TW or by email Tim.Whelan@lewes-eastbourne.gov.uk
Any objections that are not withdrawn will be considered by the Council and the Table of Fares (modified or not) will come into operation no later than the 2 November 2019