Lewes District and Eastbourne Borough Councils are warning residents to be aware of fraudsters who have recently targeted residents in the area. These scams include:
- A caller telling you that you have paid too much Council Tax, advising that you can claim a refund for an upfront fee. We will never ask for an upfront payment to release a Council Tax refund.
- A caller telling you that you are due a refund as your property is in the wrong band then later asking for an upfront fee to secure the refund. You can challenge your own Council Tax band for free by contacting the valuation office and explaining why you think it’s incorrect. More information can be found by visiting www.gov.uk/challenge-council-tax-band or by calling 03000 501 501.
To reduce the risks of falling for cold call scams, Trading Standards has issued the following tips:
- Be wary of unsolicited callers suggesting or implying that you are due a refund or other money.
- Never provide your personal details or bank or credit card details.
- Don’t take calls when you are busy and can’t give the salesman your full attention – if you want to talk ask them to call back at a convenient time.
- Don’t agree to something on the phone just to get rid of a persistent caller.
- If you are not clear on who you are speaking to, terminate the call.
You may also wish to contact Action Fraud via their website www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040.
More information on Council Tax scams can be found here:
If you are in any doubt, never share personal information with a caller.