Catch certificates

Compliance and requirements guidance for importers of fish and fishery products

Importers of most fish and fishery products (as products of animal origin) from EU countries except the Republic of Ireland need to:

  • submit IUU fishing documents to the port health authority before the consignment arrives
  • comply with customs requirements (such as submitting a customs import declaration and paying duties and VAT)
  • check that you have correct documents if moving Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)-listed goods, or goods subject to restrictions (such as bluefin tuna or Antarctic and Patagonian toothfish)

You must submit an import notification in IPAFFS for imports from all EU countries except the Republic of Ireland.

If you need help with your import notification you can call the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) helpline on 03300 416 999 or email

You can find full guidance on exporting or moving fish from the UK on

Newhaven port health catch certificate charges

The following charges now apply from 01 April 2023:

Number of certificates

High Risk 3rd (RoW) country

Low Risk EEA/EFTA countries / Bilateral Agreements













You may useful: