The Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 introduced the duty to refer. This only applies to specified public authorities in England and individuals can only be referred to a local housing authority in England.
How to refer
If you belong to one of the following organisations and your client is at risk of homelessness within the next 56 days, you can use our form below to refer them to us:
- young offender institutions
- secure training centres
- secure colleges
- youth offending teams
- probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
- Job centres in England
- social service authorities (both adult and children’s)
- emergency departments
- urgent treatment centres
- hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care
- Secretary of State for Defence in relation to members of the regular armed forces
Return the form to us by email. You can find the address on page 1 of the form.
If you wish to refer a client who is at risk of homelessness within 56 days, but you do not work for one of the public bodies listed, please contact us.