Skip navigation

Fuel poverty

Fuel poverty is a serious and complicated issue, which energy suppliers are helping to tackle in a number of ways. A household is said to be in fuel poverty when its members cannot afford to keep their home adequately warm at a reasonable cost, given their income. 

Fuel poverty in England is measured using the Low Income High Costs (LIHC) indicator. Under the LIHC indicator, a household is considered to be fuel poor if: 

  • you have required fuel costs that are above average (the national median level) 

  • if you spend that amount, you would be left with a residual income below the official poverty line     

There are three important elements in determining whether a household is fuel poor:    

  • household Income              

  • household energy requirements       

  • fuel prices    

If you have any questions or concerns that you are in fuel poverty then please contact us, your energy supplier or one of the dedicated services below.            

Energy Saving Advice Service 

Contact the Energy Saving Trust for:

  • independent expert advice on saving energy in your home
  • for funding requests for making energy efficiency improvements

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau provides independent confidential and impartial advice to everyone on your rights and responsibilities.

  • Eastbourne: 01323 417177
  • Lewes: 01273 473082

Home Improvement Agency 

The Home Improvement Agency service offers practical support, advice adaptations and information for older or disabled people in East Sussex.

Review Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

You can view historic EPCs for your property or surrounding ones on the EPC Register website. This may help give you a better understanding of how you could improve the energy performance of your home.

If you decide you would like to have a more up to date EPC for your property, you can search for a Domestic Energy Assessor through the website.

Snow and Ice Advice

For helpful information for residents and businesses during periods of snow and ice please go to extreme weather snow and ice advice.