Road closures will affect large parts of Lewes town on the day. Diversions will be in place for traffic to travel outside of the town. Residents are advised to get vehicles home before 4.30pm to avoid any road closures in place. We advise visitors not to bring vehicles into the town, but instead use public transport.
Road closures from 16.45pm on 5 November 2019
- A27 junction with A277 Brighton Road (Ashcombe Roundabout)
- A27 junction with A26 (Southerham Roundabout)
- A26 junction with B2192 Ringmer Road (Earwig Corner)
- C7 Kingston Road junction with C324 Wellgreen Lane
- A275 Offham Rd junction with B2116 Plumpton Road
- A27 junction with Southerham Lane (Cliffe Industrial Estate)
Parking restrictions will begin to be imposed from noon. More information will follow closer to the event. The map at the bottom of this page shows which roads will be closed and from what time.
Roads in Lewes will re-open at 2am or once Sussex Police deem it safe to do so and the cleaning of the town is complete by Lewes District Council waste crews.
On-street parking will be suspended on certain streets in the town. Vehicles must be removed from these routes or risk being towed away if they are not.
If you have a parking permit and need assistance on alternative parking locations for the evening, please contact the East Sussex County Council parking team on 01273 335500 or email@example.com.
They are available Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm and on a Saturday from 9am to 1pm.
The A27 will be open to through traffic only for the duration. No parking or waiting is allowed. Vehicles risk being towed if parked.
Plans for rail travel on 5 November are as follows:
- There will be no trains calling at Lewes, Glynde and Southease after 5pm.
- There will be no trains calling at Cooksbridge after the 4.16pm from Victoria to Eastbourne has stopped there at 5.20pm.
- There will be no trains calling at Falmer after the departure of the 6.31pm Brighton to Hastings service at 6.40pm.
Please check with Rail Enquiries for details of your specific journey.
There will be diversions to services on 5 November. Please check with the bus operating companies for specific changes and disruption.
Follow us on Twitter for the latest information
Search #lewesbonfire on Twitter (no account needed) or follow @LewesDC
Key to map of road closures and parking restrictions
Purple Routes: this road will be closed from 4:45pm to 2am. On-street parking is suspended from 12pm, vehicles risk being towed from 4pm.
Blue Route: this road will be closed from 4:45pm to 2am. On-street parking will be suspended from 12pm, vehicles risk being towed from 4pm.
Black Route: westbound traffic only from 4:45pm to 7pm. There will be no access to Lewes from A27 during this time. This road will be closed 4:30pm - 2am. On-street parking is suspended from 12pm, vehicles risk being towed from 4pm.
Orange Route: this road will be closed from 4:45pm to 2am. On-street parking in authorised bays is permitted.
Green Route: this road will be closed from 4:45pm to 2am. On-street parking will be suspended from 12 noon. Vehicles risk being towed away from 3pm.