Meads Parks and Gardens

Location BN20 7XL

Meads parks and gardens consisting of; The Helen Garden, The Italian Garden and All Saints Park and are located in the Holywell area of Meads. Nestling below the Downs at the west end of Eastbourne Seafront, two kilometres south-west of the pier with All Saints Park located on the inland side of King Edward’s Parade.

Further information can be found on the Friends of Meads Parks and Gardens website.

Facilities     

  • kiosk serving minor refreshments (seasonal)

  • toilets

  • lawns for informal activities

  • children’s playground

  • Bowls Club

  • putting green (bookable at the kiosk)

  • petanque/boule rink (bookable at the kiosk)

Main attractions

Broad lawns sloping gently seawards give magnificent views over the sea and towards Eastbourne pier. There is an excellent show of spring daffodils and plenty of seating.  A small modern children’s playground is available and a large putting course.

History

This land passed through the hands of several private owners including The Duke of Devonshire, the Grand Hotel and finally Mrs. Helen Reid Stewart Hornby Lewis after whom the garden is named.  Shortly after her death in 1930 the land was conveyed to the council, landscaped and opened to the public in 1935.

In 2012 the garden became nominated as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.

Facilities   

  • café on promenade below
  • toilets on promenade below

Main attractions

The garden is a delightful sun trap with seating and a central lawn area below banks of mature trees.

History

The garden originated in the early twentieth century when an old chalk quarry was landscaped. Several Italianate buildings were built in the 1920s that remain today. These include some small rose arbors and a larger shelter. In 2012 the garden became nominated as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.

Facilities

  • lawns
  • seating
  • please note: there are no toilet or refreshment facilities

Main attractions

Lawns planted with narcissi and crocuses are crossed by a network of surfaced paths with several adjacent seats. Numerous young trees will provide shelter and shade when mature and there are several beds of ornamental perennials. There are uninterrupted views of All Saints Chapel, a fine example of High Victorian Gothic architecture built in 1874 which is now a listed building.

History

Formerly part of the grounds surrounding All Saints Convalescent Hospital built 1867 to 1869. The buildings were redeveloped as luxury flats in 2009 with some land being set aside to create a new public park. In 2012 the park became nominated as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.