Authorisation to show a film

The showing of films is a licensable activity under the Licensing Act 2003 and requires either a premises licence, club premises certificate or temporary event notice to be in place before a film is shown to the public

It is also the council's responsibility to ensure all films shown to the public have been authorised, either by British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) or by the council's licensing authority.

In addition to authorising films that haven't been classified by the BBFC (generally for festivals or one off screenings), the Licensing Authority is able to apply different age restrictions to films already classified by the BBFC for local screening. Requests for reclassification can either be made by the distributor of a film or an independent member of the public.