Our online services will be unavailable from 3:30pm on Friday 03 February to 8am Monday 06 February: Read more...

Electrical works

Your responsibilities as a homeowner

As a homeowner, you are responsible for making sure electrical works comply with part p of the building regulationsand that works are either carried out or checked by a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) registered electrician.

What if I haven't used a CPS registered electrician?

The building regulations do not prevent you or an unregistered electrician carrying out electrical works, but you'll either need to:

  • submit a building regulations application to building control so that we can sign off the works, or

  • arrange for a member of a government-authorised electrical CPS to check the works and issue a certificate

How can I find a CPS registered electrician?

A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS can be found on the Registered Competent Person Electricalwebsite.

Further guidance on CPS

The LABC websiteprovides further information on CPS. 

General advice, guidance and information can be found on the Electrical Safety First website