The council's ambition for the Devonshire Quarter is to create a thriving and nationally important and recognised cultural and tennis destination.
What do we want to achieve?
Our vision is to create a new improved cultural and tennis destination, including:
- New state of the art conference space and restaurant/café facilities
- Restoration of the three listed buildings: Congress, Winter Garden and Devonshire Park Theatre
- Upgrading the facilities in all buildings
- Improved tennis facilities so that the Lawn Tennis Association no longer has to bring in temporary facilities and new larger size tennis courts
- Distinct park entrance and new and improved public spaces
Why are we doing this?
It is also vital to ensure that the listed buildings are brought up to a high standard and sensitively improved to sustain their significant heritage and use for many years to come. We need to:
- Ensure we improve and maintain the standard of the tennis delivery to ensure we retain the tennis tournaments and attract other important tournaments to the park
- Maintain a strong emphasis on culture and retain and develop entertainment audiences by offering more diverse shows and events
- Provide much improved theatres, catering and conference facilities to improve the experience for visitors, delegates, hirers, performers and audiences
- Improve accessibility of the whole site as well as its sustainability both financially and environmentally and improve conditions for staff and increase operational efficiency
- Provide a more welcoming entrance and public area for the park with clearer links to the town centre and seafront