Newhaven is seeking £24.7m of Towns Fund investment to help transform our town landscape through the delivery of 17 individual interventions. Together, these projects will unlock additional public and private sector investment and represent total planned investment in Newhaven of almost £42.5m.
Our proposals are formally presented as the Newhaven Town Investment Plan. This strategic document was submitted for assessment by the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government in January 2021.
The interventions have been developed to support our resident and business communities, including:
- More than 18 acres of community and greenspace conserved and enhanced to create a place that people want to live and work in
- Almost 5,000sqm of new and refurbished commercial space to support our growing economy
- Unlocking significant new jobs and learning opportunities to directly benefit our residents and help to build community wealth
- Increased visitor numbers to Newhaven, retaining more spending locally to support existing visitor attractions, shops and services
- Generating an estimated Gross Value Added uplift of almost £34.6m over a 10-year appraisal period
We expect to hear from government in April 2021 as to which programmes will be selected to proceed to the next stage. A Heads of Terms Agreement will be made between the Government and LDC. The Council and the Town Deal Board will then have up to a year to develop fully costed business cases for each of the agreed projects and submit them to government in line with the Head of Terms Agreement.