Coronavirus: Read the latest updates if you need help, advice or information from the councils on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Play streets or street parties

How to apply to turn your street into an occasional play street in the Lewes district or apply for street party consent in Eastbourne.

The Playing out website has general information about play streets.

We are inviting applications from residents who want to turn their street into an occasional play street. This allows children to play freely for a few hours on their own street without fear of traffic. Please refer to the play streets consultation and guidance document at the bottom of the page.

Parents and neighbours can apply for a single temporary road closure, or several at one time.

Applicants should consult with all homes and businesses affected by the planned closure. You have to demonstrate to us by collecting signatures that at least sixty percent of these agree to the road being closed for up to three hours during daylight hours on the occasional dates planned.

Parents should be available to supervise the play and ensure the road is closed off to vehicles, with suitable signs. Residents should continue to be allowed to have access to park in existing bays.

Apply for a street closure in the Lewes district:

Start now

Councillor Tony Nicholson, Lead Member for Customers and Partners at Lewes District Council said: “We want to make it easy for parents and neighbours to apply to close their road and turn it into a play out area. I’m sure people can remember the benefits of playing out in the street many years ago and the strong community spirit it fostered between neighbours and parents.”

  • Lewes District Council has recently agreed to allow play streets across the district
  • A play street is a temporary road closure for up to three hours during daylight hours, no more than once a fortnight
  • There are now more than 400 streets across 40 different local authority areas which have hosted a play street
  • Residents can apply for one or more play streets by completing the online form available below
  • Before applying an applicant needs to consult with all homes and businesses affected by the temporary road closure and gain the agreement of at least 60% of these. Applicants must submit evidence of this when you make your application. It should be uploaded during the online application process along with a map showing your street and the extent of the closure
  • Applicants need to allow a clear eight weeks prior to the first play street to give the council time to consult with its partners
  • Lewes District Council will consult with the emergency services, Sussex Police and East Sussex Highways to gain consent for the Play Street before the order can be issued to the applicant
  • Temporary road closures are legal documents restricting road closure to the date and times on the order
  • Please download a sample of how you might present your neighbourhood consultation at the bottom of the page. You will need to upload this during the application process

Apply for street party consent

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life - they are a simple way for you to get to know your neighbours and meet members of our community.

Along with its partners, we are keen to support small scale street parties in Eastbourne, to foster community spirit and cohesion, as well as ensuring that they are fun and easy to organise!

  • There is no fee to apply. However, if there will be public entertainment, sale of alcohol or sale of food after 11pm, you must also apply for a Temporary Event Notice, at a fee of £21.00
  • An application usually takes around 6 weeks 
  • It is essential to download and read the guidance notes before starting your application