Service announcement

Online forms are currently unavailable. We are investigating urgently and apologise for the inconvenience.

Noise nuisance

Noise nuisance can be defined as:       

  • loud music   
  • noise from neighbours
  • barking dogs
  • alarms
  • machinery, construction and DIY
  • pubs, clubs, commercial and industrial premises

Before you contact us we always suggest you talk to your neighbours first to try to resolve any problems. Often they are not aware they are causing a problem.

If this does not work or is not possible you should consider contacting Mediation Plus.

If talking to your neighbours or mediation does not solve the problem we may be able to help. To be a nuisance noise has to be unreasonable to an average person. When considering what is unreasonable we take account of 

  • the type of noise
  • how loud it is
  • how often it occurs
  • the time of day it occurs

Something that occurs very rarely for a short time is unlikely to be a nuisance.

Report a noise problem in the Lewes district

To report a noise nuisance in the Lewes district, complete the online form.

Start now

Report a noise problem in Eastbourne

To report a noise problem in Eastbourne, please use our Contact Us form.