Service announcement

Online forms are currently unavailable. We are investigating urgently and apologise for the inconvenience.

Houses in multiple occupancy

A House in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property occupied by more than one household. Properties that are occupied by 5 or more people, and are 3 or more stories must have a licence.

Go to the National HMO network website for a more detailed explanation of the types of HMOs under the Housing Act 2004.

HMO standards

HMOs must provide certain facilities for use by the tenants. Specific requirements can be downloaded in the prescribed standards for Houses in Multiple Occupation. You will find these in the appropriate council below.

Fire Safety guidance is provided at fire safety guidance. We work along side our colleagues at East Sussex Fire and Rescue to ensure compliance in all areas, please contact us if you require further advice.

HMOs also have legal standards for the management and maintenance. These are set out in the HMO Management Regulations;

The 2006 Regulations apply to shared HMOs

The 2007 Regulations applied to self-contained HMOs

If you live in and HMO and are concerned about the standards, or your landlord is not undertaking repairs you can report this to us for investigation.

Check if a property is licensed

You can check if a property is licensed by checking the HMO register for the appropriate council by clicking on the relevant tab below.

How to apply for or renew an HMO licence

Please select the council that you wish to apply to below.

The landlord of an HMO will need to apply for a licence if the HMO property meets all of the following criteria; 

  • is over three or more stories. This includes basements, shops and loft conversions   
  • has five or more tenants  
  • with some sharing of facilities

It is an offence to fail to license an HMO, and the landlord can be prosecuted. You can check if a property has a license by choosing the correct council below and checking the HMO register. If you are aware of an HMO operating without a license you can report this to us, and we will investigate.

Students and host families

Licensing also applies to host families that have four or more students in a property that is three or more storeys high (including basement and attic rooms) for 90 or more days in any year.

If your property has three or more students for less than 90 days in any year, it may still be categorised as an HMO though it will not require a licence.

You can apply for an HMO licence by downloading and completing the appropriate form below, then returning it along with the associated documentation as indicated within the form.

For further details or advice please contact us.

If you are a landlord of an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) you can apply for or renew your HMO licence online or by downloading the forms before and returning along with the relevant documentation.

Use our online form to apply for a new HMO licence to Eastbourne Borough Council

Start now

Use our online form to apply for a renew an existing HMO licence to Eastbourne Borough Council

Start now

If you are a landlord and would like advice on HMO licensing, use our online form.

start now

HMO Register Eastbourne Borough Council

HMO Register Eastbourne Borough Council
Summary: Download HMO register
File Size: 1.16MB
File Type: application/pdf
Created: 21 November 2017
Last Modified: 21 December 2017