Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Get involved in your neighbourhood in Lewes

The information below outlines the ways to get involved in your community.

Tenants and Residents Associations (TRAs)

Tenant and Resident Associations (TRAs) are groups who work with their community and local agencies to achieve shared goals. There are several TRAs operating in the Lewes District that you can join, or we can help you set up your own.

Find out more:

Tenants and residents association handbook

Tenant involvement strategy 2023-2027 (PDF) [1MB]

Report it

Report It (Love Clean Streets) smartphone app is the quickest and easiest way to report environmental problems to the councils when you are out and about. In just a few taps you can report the problem, give the location and include a photo. Your report then goes straight through to the right team to deal with the issue.

Community Improvements

The Tenants Organisation of Lewes District (TOLD) committee oversees an annual budget of £20,000 for community improvements. Lewes District Council tenants can apply to the fund to make improvements to Council owned communal spaces and facilities. Funds can also be used to support projects that benefit local communities or initiatives that promote tenant involvement.

If you have an idea in mind, we suggest that you;

  • Check with your neighbours to make sure they support your idea
  • Discuss your idea with your local tenant and resident association if you have one
  • Talk to your local Senior Caseworker (Housing Officer) or your Retirement Housing Advisor if you live in retirement housing.

General needs housing applications are considered by TOLD (Tenants of Lewes District) at their quarterly committee meetings. Applications for retirement housing are considered by the Retirement Housing Forum

To find out more or be sent an application form, simply email

Retirement Housing Meetings

If you live in one of our retirement housing schemes you can take part in regular meetings with housing staff. When circumstances allow, these meetings are held in the communal lounge, or at the nearest meeting venue to you. The meetings talk about any issues that affect your scheme and sometimes include a "walkabout" of the scheme with your Retirement Housing Advisor to point out any areas of concern.

How we help you to get involved

To help you get involved we pay your costs, offer training, and provide access to services and assistance from Tenant Participation staff. Grants can be given to tenants and residents associations that hold a bank account. The grant is to cover running expenses such as

  • stationery
  • phone calls
  • refreshments for meetings
  • venue hire

If you would like to apply for a grant on behalf of your TRA please contact us.