Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Energy efficiency

Green Homes Grant

As part of the Green Homes Grant, The Warm Home Check service is able to offer eligible households a range of fully funded home insulation or low carbon heating improvements to increase the energy efficiency of your home - helping you to keep warm and well, whilst saving money.

The COVID-secure Warm Home Check visit will help to find out the improvements that would be best for you and your home.  A more detailed home survey may then be arranged to help you review all your options and understand the recommended improvements. 

All improvement works are quality assured and carried out by vetted contractors registered with Trustmark or the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.  

Apply for a Warm Home Check now

Find out if you're eligible for a Warm Home Check.  In addition, to qualify for these government funded home insulation or low carbon heating improvements, your property must have low energy efficiency - an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E, F or G.  If you don't know the energy efficiency of your home, then the Warm Home Check visit may be able to help.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) were introduced by the government in 2011. Related to Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs), the legislation prevents landlords from renting out F and G rated properties.

From April 2019 landlords have been required to demonstrate it would cost more than £3,500 to improve their property to a minimum 'E' rating before letting to a new tenant. From April 2020 this will apply to all existing tenancies.

The regulations were introduced to improve the quality of private rented buildings in England and Wales and to increase the energy efficiency of the worst performing houses and buildings. In addition, these regulations aim to improve the comfort and conditions in private rented homes and reduce fuel poverty.

What is an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. Before a property is marketed to sell or rent, an EPC for potential buyers and tenants must be provided. An EPC contains:

  • Information about a property's energy use and typical energy costs
  • Recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to a G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. Landlords can be fined if they don't get an EPC when they need one.

What actions should landlords take?

Landlords must ensure all their properties have a valid EPC.

Properties with older EPCs might have already undergone work to meet the standards but the current EPC may no longer reflect the energy efficiency of the property. Landlords should check their EPCs and consider renewing them if they have undertaken the appropriate works already.

Landlords should start planning for 2020 by reviewing the recommendations in their EPC that will suggest ways to improve their properties rating.

Improvements can include:

  • Boiler renewal
  • Installation of radiator thermostats
  • Upgrade and install loft insulation
  • Install cavity wall insulation
  • Install energy efficient light bulbs

Helpful advice and guidance on how to improve the energy efficiency of properties can be found on guidance on domestic private rented property: minimum energy efficiency standard - Landlord guidance.

Are some properties exempt from the scheme?

There are several situations where a property will become exempt from the regulations however landlords must register this exemption and provide supporting evidence.

Exemptions are defined as:

  • High cost exemptions
  • 7-year payback exemptions
  • All improvements made exemptions
  • Wall insulation exemptions
  • Consent exemptions
  • Devaluation exemptions
  • New landlord exemptions

Find out more about exemptions on

Help paying your energy bills

If you struggle to pay your energy bills please consider using the Warm Home Check Service. You can find details of this on our fuel poverty page. 

Fuel poverty

If you have any concerns that you are in fuel poverty please contact us, your energy supplier or one of the dedicated services on our fuel poverty page.