Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district


A non-dependant is someone, usually 18 or older, who normally lives in your home. They are often:

  • an adult son or daughter
  • another relative
  • any adult who does not pay rent or Council Tax at the property

Non-dependants are not:

  • dependant family members for whom benefit is paid, for example, a partner, young son or daughter
  • people who own all or part of your home
  • a joint tenant or sub tenant
  • professional carers
  • someone who lives in the property on a commercial basis

If you have a non-dependant living in your household the amount of benefit that can be paid may be reduced. This is because it is reasonable to expect the non-dependant to make a contribution towards the household expenses.

When is a non-dependant deduction not made?

No deduction is made where:

  • a claimant is aged 65 plus (or any partner is)
  • a claimant or partner is registered blind
  • a claimant or partner is in receipt of Attendance Allowance (AA), care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), daily living component of Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • a non-dependant is a student
  • a non-dependant who has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more
  • a non-dependant is receiving a work-based training allowance
  • a person who is 18 and in receipt of child benefit
  • a person is providing care or support for at least 35 hours per week and in receipt of DLA or AA at the higher rate level

What if there is more than one non-dependant?

A separate deduction is made for each non-dependant in the household. If two non-dependants are married to each other or are treated as a couple, only one deduction will be made for them. The amount of the deduction is based on the joint income.

Where the person claiming (or their partner) is over 65 (Pension Age)

Where a claimant or their partner is 65 or over and a non-dependant moves in, no deduction will be made for the first 26 weeks. If the personal circumstances of a non-dependant who is already in the household changes and results in an increase in the deduction, the increase will not take place for the first 26 weeks. In both scenarios the appropriate deduction will be made in the 27th week.

Where the change results in a decrease in the level of deduction this will take place from the date the new circumstances were effective provided we are told within one calendar month of the date of change. If this time limit is not met the reduced deduction will apply from the Monday following the date we were told of the change.

How is your Housing Benefit affected?

The amount of deduction is set each year by the government and depends on the income of the non-dependant. Select your council document below for the current non-dependant rates: