Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Help with money and debt

If you are struggling with managing your money, debt or the causes of debt, there are several organisations that can help guide you.

What help is available?

Everyone needs some help from time to time. There is plenty of help available for every type of situation. We have collated a list of council and third party services that can help, plus a range of benefits and grants to help you get on top of your situation.

Money management and dealing with debt

Managing your money can be a difficult enough job at the best of times. The services listed below will give you support and advice on dealing with day to day financial issues such as:

  • Budgeting and managing finances
  • Dealing with debt
  • Mortgages and loans
  • Savings and investments
  • Pensions

Useful Websites

Other support services

  • Armed forces - help and support for current and previous armed forces personnel
  • Bereavement - help and support services for when someone dies
  • Addiction - help and support for people affected by addiction.
  • Mental health - help and support for people affected by mental health issues.


Financial help and support


Financial help for people affected by disability

If you or someone in your family is disabled, you may be entitled to financial help or support from local and national organisations.


Financial help if you are bringing up children

Bringing up children can be costly and expensive. The web pages listed below will provide information on benefits, grants and allowances available to working and non-working parents including Tax credits as well as information to help you with the planning, budgeting, managing and balancing of your family finances.

  • – benefits for families - including information about benefits, grants and allowances that you may be entitled to.
  • - tax credits - are payments from the government. If you're responsible for at least one child or young person who normally lives with you, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but earn low wages, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit.
  • HMRC Tax Credits Calculator - This online tool helps you to work out roughly how much tax credit you are entitled to.
  • The The Child Support Agency - helps tackle child poverty by making sure that parents who live apart from their children contribute financially to their upbringing by paying Child Maintenance.
  • Money Helper – Divorce and Separation - If you are going through divorce or separation, the Financial Services Authority Money Made Clear team can help you with the financial issues you face, providing advice to help you stay on top of your financial situation.
  • Healthy Start NHS - financial support towards food and vitamin supplements for pregnant woman or parents (with a child under four) on certain means-tested benefits.
  • East Sussex County Council - free school meals - for school children where a parent or carers is in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Help with childcare costs

Childcare can be expensive. There are, however, a number of financial support schemes which could help you with the costs of childcare including - tax creditsChildcare voucher schemes and Nursery education funding.


Financial help for businesses

From starting a business to finding out about financial support available at a local and national level.


Household Support Fund

This fund can be used to support households in the most need with food, energy and water bills. It can also be used to support households with essential costs related to those items and with wider essentials costs.

This scheme reopened on 24 May 2022 

Apply for a Household Support Grant