Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Food business registration

To open a food business you must register with the councils at least 28 days before opening. This is required by law. Registration is free.

Register a food business online

To register your food business with Lewes district or Eastbourne borough council, complete the correct online form on (external links):

Register a food business in the Lewes district

Register a food business in Eastbourne

Note: if your business is outside Eastbourne or the Lewes district, you should contact that area's local, district or city council.

Who needs to register?

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans.  

Other types of food businesses

Certain types of food premises - businesses that make, prepare or handle food of animal origin for supply to other businesses must be approved by the council, rather than registered. Check our Food premises approval page to see if your business needs to be approved instead of registered.


Food safety is very important to childminders, because children are a vulnerable group, which means they can be more seriously affected by food poisoning than adults. Food hygiene regulations apply to childminders who prepare food. 

If you are starting a childminding business you must register with Ofsted who should pass your details on to us if you prepare food. You no longer need to register with us directly.