Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Health and safety at work

Help and support for your business and how the regulations apply.

We are here to help and support your business by advising how the regulations apply to your business. It is usually a lot less onerous than you might think and can save your business money.

Employers have legal obligations under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The Act outlines duties and responsibilities towards your employees and those not employed by you.

Contact us for enquiries or complaints regarding offices, shops, residential care homes, warehouses and distributors, recreational facilities, hotels and catering and childcare providers.

See the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reporting a workplace health and safety problem for other types of business complaints.

Health and safety essentials

An employer (irrespective of how many people you employ) must take out Employers Liability Insurance.

Visit the HSE Health and safety basics for business for information on writing a policy, doing risk assessments and general guidance.

Reporting an accident or incident

If an accident occurs at work it may need to be reported to us or the Health and Safety Executive, depending on the type of business (as described above for complaints).

For details of how and when to report an accident or incident visit the HSE how to make a RIDDOR report.

Managing and working with asbestos

Your duty to manage asbestos is explained on the HSE website.

Councils policy

You can download and read our general statement of health and safety policy below.