Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Housing Benefit and Universal Credit help for paying rent

These benefits help people on low income pay their rent. You may be able to claim one of these benefits if you have a low household income.

Check your eligibility with our online benefit calculator and apply online:

Find more information on how to claim benefits, or contact us for advice and support. 

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

  • You are still responsible to pay on time, any rent shortfall not covered by your Universal Credit housing element or Housing Benefit 
  • If the council is not receiving your rent directly, your responsibility is to pay the housing element to us as soon as you receive it. You can apply for direct housing element payments to your rent account at any time of your claim by calling the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644
  • You must report any changes in your household, income or personal circumstances to Housing Benefit / Department of Work and Pensions and to the council straightaway. You will also need to provide all the evidence required to support a claim for benefit. Where a new benefit claim is required, this should be done immediately to avoid loss of income. You can find further information on our Benefit change in circumstances page.