Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Permitted Development

What is development?

Development is defined as: "the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of a material change in the use of buildings or other land". By the Town and Country Planning Act 1990

Many types of development can be carried out without planning permission under Permitted Development (PD). PD rights are granted by Parliament and are set out in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (as amended) (GPDO). Works such as extensions, garden buildings, fences and solar panels are included in the term development.

Who do these rights apply to?

PD rights apply to householders, businesses, and changes of use. Each type of development relates to a specific category within the GPDO and each has its own restrictions.

PD does not apply to flats or maisonettes, except for satellite dishes and solar panels. Any work to the exterior of these types of building (such as changes to windows and doors) will require planning permission. Any additions to the grounds (such as the erection of sheds and bike stores) will also require planning permission. 

Restrictions to PD in Designated Areas

PD rights are more restricted if you live in a designated area such as a conservation area, the South Downs National Park or a Site of Specific Scientific Interest. You may need to apply for planning permission for works that do not usually need permission in other areas.

Withdrawn PD Rights and Article 4 Directions

Some areas are covered by an Article 4 Direction, which provides more protection to an area by removing PD rights. In these areas planning permission is often required for works that would normally be PD.

Your property may already have had PD rights removed. This restriction is often in place when further development of the site using PD may be harmful to the area. This does not necessarily mean that consent will not be granted, but an application will be required to assess the impact of the works. 

You should have been advised of any restrictions to PD rights relating to your property by your solicitor when purchasing the property.

PD and listed buildings

Planning permission and/or listed building consent is generally required for any works to listed buildings. These buildings are given special protection because of their architectural or historic interest. 

Like for like repairs can sometimes be carried out without consent. However, any such works must be identical to whatever is being replaced in design, dimensions, materials and proportions. Please note that replacement of single glazing with double glazing is not a like for like repair and will always require listed building consent.

Check if your property has PD restrictions or is in a designated area

Find out if your property is within a designated area or has any PD restrictions using our property address search on Public Access. Details of designations and restrictions that apply to your property are listed under the Constraints tab on the property search. Please note, you must read the Terms and Conditions for using public access before entering the site.