Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Dangerous and wild animals licences

Keeping dangerous and wild animals requires a licence.

Certain animals need to be registered before being kept in this country. We issue licences for animal owners who keep animals classed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

Licences last for one year from 1 January to 31 December.

The National Archives dangerous wild animals list details the animals that need to be licensed.

The only time this licence is not required is if the animal is kept in a zoo, circus or pet shop, which require different licences.

Dangerous and wild animals licences in the Lewes district


  • Initial application Lewes district is £250.00 plus vet fees
  • Renewal is £250 plus vet fees
  • Variation to licence is £250 plus vet fees

If we need to re-inspect the premises we charge a re-inspection fee.

How to apply

Download and complete the application form below. You will need to include a valid public liability insurance certificate.

Before issuing a licence we ask a vet to inspect the premises and animals and report their findings. We also inspect the premises to ensure other conditions are met. If all conditions are met a licence will be granted and issued together with the conditions.


Dangerous Wild Animal Licence application form Lewes District Council (PDF) [224KB]

Dangerous and Wild Animal Licence Conditions Lewes District Council (PDF) [52KB]

Dangerous and wild animals licences in Eastbourne


The licence fee in Eastbourne is £250.00 plus vet's charges.

How to apply

You can download and complete the application form below.

The licence requires the owner to keep the animal in suitable and safe conditions, for the welfare of the animal and protection of the public. Licences can be refused or issued subject to conditions.


Dangerous and Wild Animal licence application form Eastbourne Borough Council (PDF) [99KB]

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon