Coronavirus: Read the latest updates if you need help, advice or information from the councils on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Fuel Poverty: Help is available if you can't afford to heat your home.

Dangerous and wild animals licences

Keeping dangerous and wild animals requires a licence.

Certain animals need to be registered before being kept in this country. We issue licences for animal owners who keep animals classed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

Licences last for 1 year from 1 January to 31 December.

The National Archives dangerous wild animals list details the animals that need to be licensed.

The only time a licence is not required is if the animal is kept in a zoo, circus or pet shop.


The licence fee in the Lewes district is £180.00 plus vet's charges.

If we need to re-inspect the premises we charge a re-inspection fee.

How to apply

Download and complete the application form below. You will need to include a valid public liability insurance certificate.

Before issuing a licence we ask a vet to inspect the premises and animals and report their findings. We also inspect the premises to ensure other conditions are met. If all conditions are met a licence will be granted and issued together with the conditions.

Register of licences

We keep a public register of all licences issued and held within the Lewes district. Search online for details now:


The licence fee in Eastbourne is £95.00 plus vet's charges.

How to apply

You can download and complete the application form below.

The licence requires the owner to keep the animal in suitable and safe conditions, for the welfare of the animal and protection of the public. Licences can be refused or issued subject to conditions.

You may also find useful: