Building regulations and the approved documents
Building regulations are minimum standards for the design, construction and alteration of buildings.
They are developed by the Government and approved by Parliament. Building regulations approval is different from planning permission. You may need both for your project.
The Building Regulations 2010 cover the construction and extension of buildings and are supported by Approved Documents which set out detailed practical guidance on compliance:
- A - structure
- B - fire safety
- C - site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture
- D - toxic substances
- E - resistance to the passage of sound
- F - ventilation
- G - sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency
- H - drainage and waste disposal
- J - combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
- K - protection from falling, collision and impact
- L - conservation of fuel and power
- M - access to and use of buildings
- P - electrical safety
- Q - security
You can download the Approved Documents from the Planning Portal.