Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Building control

Building control guidance, applications, site inspections and more.

Eastbourne Borough Council has partnered with the East Sussex Building Control Partnership for building control services. If you live in Eastbourne you can find out more information on the East Sussex Building Control Partnership website.

All building control services within the Lewes district are carried out directly by Lewes District Council who will ensure your project complies with the building regulations.

What is Building Control?

Building control monitor building works to ensure the current safety requirements and permitted standards are met.

Changes to building regulations from October 2023

The Building Safety Act 2022, has brought changes in the Building Regulations and applications to Building Control from 1 October 2023.

Building control application forms

Find out which type of application you need to complete for different building projects.

Building control charges

Our fees and charges relevant to the type of work you are doing.

How do I submit my building control application?

There are a number of ways to submit a building control application, depending on the council area where you are doing building work.

Do I need building control?

Most building work is subject to the building regulations. Find out what type of works do need an application and which may be exempt.

Building regulations and the approved documents

Building regulations are minimum standards for the design, construction and alteration of buildings.

Booking a site inspection

There are a number of ways you can book a building control site inspection for your building project.

Electrical works

Your responsibilities as a homeowner and Competent Person Scheme (CPS) registered electricians.

Drains and public sewers

Find out the difference between private and public sewers, and who is responsible for repairs and maintenance.

Dangerous structures

What causes a building or other structure to become dangerous, and how to report it.


How to notify us of an intended demolition of any building affected by the Building Act 1984.

Historic searches

For various reasons, including when you are selling your property, it is necessary to obtain copies of approvals and / or completion certificates for historic building works carried out on your property.