Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Electrical works

Your responsibilities as a homeowner and Competent Person Scheme (CPS) registered electricians.

Your responsibilities as a homeowner

As a homeowner, you are responsible for making sure electrical works comply with part P of the building regulations and that works are either carried out or checked by a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) registered electrician.

What if I haven't used a CPS registered electrician?

The building regulations do not prevent you or an unregistered electrician carrying out electrical works, but you'll need to either:

  • arrange for a member of a government-authorised electrical CPS to check the works and issue a certificate, or
  • submit a building regulations application to Building Control so that we can arrange for a member of a government-authorised electrical CPS to inspect the electrical works as they are being carried out, undertake necessary testing, and issue a certificate

How can I find a CPS registered electrician?

You can find a register of electricians belonging to the various CPS on the Registered Competent Person Electrical website.

Further guidance on CPS

The LABC website - competent person scheme provides further information on CPS. 

You can find general advice, guidance and information on the Electrical Safety First website.