Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Food safety advice

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) provides advice and guidance for businesses, including starting a food business and rules about the premises.

Food hygiene guides and leaflets

Visit the Food Standards Agency website to download business guidance resources on current topics for producing safe food. See also the FSA food business industry news and alerts.

If you are planning to provide food at a charity or community event you will need to do so safely. You may find the FSA catering advice helpful.

Food waste management and disposal

Visit the FSA website's guidance on food and cooking oil waste.

Pest control in food business premises

Food businesses are required to take steps to prevent food pests, namely rats, mice, cockroaches and flying insects gaining entry into food storage and preparation areas. This is to prevent the contamination of foodstuffs. 

You should regularly check for any evidence of pests and call in a reputable pest control company if any signs are seen. You can search for a local pest controller on the British Pest Control Association (BPCA) website.

Environmental health consultants

If you require specialist food safety advice, you may wish to pay for a professional consultant to provide you with support. You can find a list of consultants on the Environmental Health News website.     

Register a food business

If you are operating a food business in Eastbourne or Lewes, such as a restaurant, cafe, takeaway or public house you will need to register your food business with the council. 

You must register 28 days before opening your food business so we have sufficient time to carry out a food inspection. Go to Food business registration for further information on how to complete your application.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon
Last modified on 10 August 2023