Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Report a problem with a food business

Report a food problem to our local food safety teams who are responsible for inspecting food businesses

Use our online Contact Us form to make a complaint about a food business in Eastbourne or Lewes.

You can tell us about;  

  • suspected food poisoning    
  • a food product issue
  • food premises or personal hygiene issue with either a restaurant, catering business or shop

Before you contact us

Please read the following information and advice before you fill in the online form. 

You will normally find that contacting the business directly can resolve a complaint or concern quickly and effectively. We recommend this should be your first course of action. 

You can rest assured that businesses are inspected or assessed, according to risk, on a regular basis.

Further advice

In cases where your food problem is not a risk to public health or safety, you may be able to resolve it by contacting the owner of the food business yourself and discussing the complaint with them. They may offer you a refund and/or carry out their own internal investigation.

Return the food to the shop, together with the packaging and receipt and ask to speak to the person in charge. In some cases you may need to write or telephone the manufacturer. Explain the nature of your complaint and ask them to investigate it. Ask them to write to you with their explanations of how the problem arose.

Download our advice leaflet below for further advice.