Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Do I need planning permission?

Before starting a new project to improve, extend, or change your home, business, or land, you will need to find out if planning permission is required.

Planning permission or building regulations? 

Planning permission and building regulations are separate requirements. Many building works that do not need planning permission will need building regulations. Other than for listed buildings, most internal works to flats, maisonettes and houses do not need planning permission but may need Building Regulations.

Restrictions to permitted development 

It is important to note that there may be restrictions on your property that affect the need for planning permission. Designated areas, such as conservation areas, South Downs National Park*, Sites of Specific Scientific Interest, Article 4 Directions and withdrawn permitted development rights can restrict the works you can carry out to your land or property. Further limitations apply for listed buildings.

* Do I Need Planning Permission forms for the SDNP are available here: Do I need planning permission? - South Downs National Park Authority and should be emailed to marked "FAO: Planning - SDNP DINPP (with enquiry summary)"

Next steps: