Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

What is Building Control?

Building control monitor building works to ensure the current safety requirements and permitted standards are met.

Building regulations approval is different from planning permission. You may need both.

Building control provide guidance and advice, detailed plan checking and site inspections under the building regulations to ensure that anyone designing or constructing a new building, extending or making changes to an existing building, follows the guidance set out by the Government.

Building Control for Eastbourne

Eastbourne Borough Council has partnered with the East Sussex Building Control Partnership for building control services. If you live in Eastbourne you can find out more information on the East Sussex Building Control Partnership website.

Building Control for the Lewes district

All building control services within the Lewes district are carried out directly by the council. As your local building control team, we will ensure your project complies with the building regulations by:

  • checking your plans to help achieve compliance with building standards
  • carrying out site inspections at key stages of construction throughout the course of your building project 
  • helping with aspects of quality; workmanship and materials where these affect compliance with building standards
  • supporting and advising on how to end up with the result you want (please note however, we are not a substitute for professional design and construction advice)
  • issuing decisions on drawings and plans, where required
  • ensuring that all building standards which are set in the interests of the wider public good have been complied with at completion and issuing completion certificates when building work has been completed correctly
  • inspecting dangerous structures
  • processing demolition notifications

We also have a thorough local knowledge of ground conditions, levels of exposure to the elements and methods of build.

If you are undertaking building works, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and may also have other duties under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon